Lecture from ICCM#2018
Crohn’s disease is a chronic inflammatory disorder that may affect any part of the gastrointestinal tract, from mouth to anus.
From a Chinese Medicine point of view, it commonly involves pathologies at the level of the eight extraordinary channels – the ‘qi jing ba mai’.
The eight extraordinary channels, are the basic template of life – regulating physical, mental and spiritual development from creation to death.
The extraordinary channels also protect the body during times of abrupt and unforeseen circumstances, which cannot be dealt with through the regular channel network; as described in Nan Jing ch. 27:
“When the network vessels are filled to overflowing, the perverse qi is diverted to the extraordinary channels… thus the person is saved from certain death.”
“Thus, the person is saved from certain death”, but at the cost of stagnation of perverse qi within the extraordinary channels, creating deep and chronic imbalances between Ying Qi and Wei Qi.
These are the autoimmune diseases- where the body attacks itself.
This seminar will explore the pathogenesis, the diagnosis and the treatment of common autoimmune disorders in the digestive tract; such as Crohn’s disease, Ulcerative Colitis and IBS with special emphasis on the role of the extraordinary channels.
- Participants will understand the Chinese philosophy of a multi-layered immune system
- Participants will understand the structure of the extraordinary channels
- Participants will explore specific treatment possibilities for patients suffering from Crohn’s disease
- Classic of Difficulties (Nan Jing) chapter 27
- Exposition on the Eight Extraordinary Vessels (Qi Jing Ba Mai Kao)- Li Shizhen
- Crohn’s Disease – Wikipedia