Speaker: Helena Zwinczewska, MD
Field: Acupuncture, Practice
This Lecture is suitable for All levels
People who have never had problems with eyesight before, often present with ocular complaints at about 40 years of age. The reason is presbyopia – a normal, age-related decrease or loss of ability to focus near objects. According to recent studies, it is a global problem affecting >1 billion people worldwide. Patients report a decrease in performance at work, and therefore worsened quality of life. The most common treatment methods are eyeglasses, contact lenses or surgical intervention.
Acupuncture is one more promising tool in the treatment of age-related decrease of vision. According to TCM, a special attention should be put on strengthening Liver, Spleen and Blood while treating visual complaints. From various TCM interventions, ear acupuncture with semi-permanent needles is especially effective. It gives the advantage of prolonged stimulation, allowing a long-term influence on accommodative abilities. It helps to reduce patients' complaints and postpone the moment of the need of glasses.
- Participants will gain basic knowledge about presbyopia.
- Participants will learn most common complaints and ways of treatment.
- Participants will understand principles of treating eye-diseases with acupuncture according to TCM.
- Participants will be able to support accommodative abilities in patients with presbyopia with ear acupuncture.
- Participants will learn specific protocols of ear-acupuncture with semi-permanent needles in patients with presbyopia.
- Marco Romoli, Pierre Rabischong, Filadelfio Puglisi. Auricular Acupuncture Diagnosis, Churchill Livingstone, 2010. ISBN 9780443068669.
- Beate Strittmatter. Ear Acupuncture: A Precise Pocket Atlas, Based on the Works of Nogier/Bahr. Thieme, 2003. ISBN: 9783131319623.
- Wolffsohn JS, Davies LN. Presbyopia: Effectiveness of correction strategies. Prog Retin Eye Res. 2018 Sep 19. pii: S1350-9462(17)30126-X. doi: 10.1016/j.preteyeres.2018.09.004.
This post is also available in: Hebrew