A Five Spirits Approach to Healing Shock and Trauma
Speaker: Lorie Eve Dechar, M.Ac.
When: Post Congress Seminar, Thursday, March 23 09:00-16:00
Field: Acupuncture - Diagnostics - Classics / Philosophy
This Lecture is suitable for practitioner of all levels
Trauma is one of the most ignored, denied and misunderstood causes of human suffering. Undiagnosed trauma may be the invisible, underlying factor in many of the symptoms acupuncturists are called upon to treat, including:
- Anxiety and Depression
- Sleep Disorders
- Digestive Disturbances
- Chronic Pain, Muscle Tension and Emotional Stress
Traditional Chinese doctors and modern psychotherapists identify similar response patterns in patients who have undergone shocking or overwhelming emotional and physical distress and hardship. We find that the nervous system response is universal and Western psychotherapeutic and Chinese medical treatments are complementary.
Through a comparison of contemporary Western trauma research and ancient Chinese texts, we will identify some of the universal aspects of the experience of trauma as well as specific ways that acupuncturists can safely support their patients' healing processes.
- become familiar with traditional Chinese and contemporary Western theories of trauma
- learn why an understanding of trauma is so important for acupuncturists
- learn specific acupuncture protocols for treating trauma including the Five Element Aggressive Energy Treatment
- learn essential oils and flower essences that help to alleviate the effects and symptoms of shock and trauma
- learn to recognize specific "red flag" signs that indicate the need for referrals to professionals trained to work with serious trauma
- Lorie Eve Dechar, Five Spirits
- Bessel van der Kolk, The Body Keeps the Score
- Peter Levine, Waking the Tiger
תרגום לכתבה זו זמין גם ב: English